more hinge work
Made some progress yesterday!
So here's the frame side hinge installed. The plan for the bed side is to have two tabs that come down, one on each side. So i cut two tabs & when i went to put them in, i realized the inner would have to be spaced fairly far away, in order to have clearance for the nut that holds the hinge to the original bed mounting bolt.
Obviously im not going to use a ton of washers, so i scrounged around the garage to try and find anything i could use, to make a spacer. I found my solution, in an old broken Dana 70 shaft!
Turns out theyre only case hardened, so it was actually pretty easy to drill
Made two while i was at it, and welded one to the first hinge
The rough idea. You can see the nut for the bed bolt hidden way up there
And the finished bed-side hinge
I am intentionally leaving that heavy tab off the side for now, so i have something to add bed bracing to later on, once the bed tilts. It will most likely get trimmed down at that point.
So, i want to be able to grease this thing. But, when the bumper goes back on, the hinge will be totally hidden. So instead of adding grease fittings to the hinge, im adding them to the bolt.
So of course its currently raining and looks like its gonna all day, so probably wont get anything done today at all.
Comments are closed.