Got a TTB coil to compare the Superlift coils to. Yeah, something isn't right
Talked to JBG. They said every set they have is made the same way. In agreement they wont work. So I shipped them back today for a full refund.
So now I need coils for the front. Well, since I got those SD leafs from Steve I said screw it, and ordered the 2.5" kit from Tuff Country.
So yeah, TTB is back out
Sucks because i could have had the front end done today, and now im gonna have to wait until next week I guess, when the kit arrives. Thinking for now ill start removing the 4WABS.
actually putting parts on?!
TTB is hung once more!
Not shown in that pic, is the 4.10 D50 chunk bolted in, along with the front dshaft hooked back up.
Chevy vs. Ford stub shaft:
(Ford on top)
D.side shafts installed, modified knuckles with new balljoints, adjustable camber bushings, and the chevy spindle
Then I got stalled out. Not sure whats going on here.
Here is my brand new Superlift leveling coils from Bronco Graveyard. This pic does not do it justice; the lower coil retainer will pull right thru the bottom wrap on the spring:
Its as if the coils were made wrong. I guess ill have to call JBG Monday and see what they have to say.
Stripping another parts truck
So Monday I went to town, and yanked my new(er) motor out of the donor truck. Moving an engine hoist around on a snow covered driveway in single digit weather sucks!
Today I pushed the truck down into the stones where it can sit til spring; the bed, once painted, will go on my F250. Plus, spare rear with 4.10s! I listed the other ('90) 351 on CL and got several offers on it, so that will probably be sold with the next week.
So Tuesday I got back at the bronco, and got the passenger side cleaned & painted
Then today after moving the F250, I went to town on the TTB, and the D50 inner shafts
I will probably be working on a coworkers truck tomorrow, but if not, I will split the TTB shafts apart for prep & paint. After that, ill finally be ready to start putting parts back on the bronco!
It happened again!
Special thanks to my bud Steve for finding this gem, that i snagged up & drug home during a snowstorm yesterday
One '97 F250, with a recently rebuilt 351 under the hood. Apparently the motor was rebuilt maybe 6 months before the truck got wrapped around a pole. The motor looks clean, no oil, grime, nothing. New pan, valve covers, new water pump, lots of parts that are obviously not very old. The block looks clean.
So, new plan. Yank motor/trans, and park truck in stones til spring. Take 351, slap a couple things on it, and drop into bronco. It is a SD 351 so I'll still have to use the 302 harness/PCM unless I can find a used MA PCM online somewhere. Probably reuse the ypipe, it at least part of it when I drop it in since the original one won't work.
Ill probably sell the transmission??? 2wd so who knows if its worth anything. The bed on it is pretty clean, thinking of using it to replace the smashed bed on my F250 after i paint it. Of course, it ALSO has a 4.10 LS rear in it, meaning i pretty much just shouldnt have even bothered buying the other parts truck but oh well. Trying to decide if its worth taking the '97 10.25 and stuffing it under the bronco in place of the '90 rear (not sure if its worth the effort to swap rears just for the 'long' pinion when its only a 351). Id like to keep the white truck a roller til spring, meaning if i put the '97 rear under the bronco, the '90 rear must go in its place.
The time has come to start really tearing into the bronco's front end, so here we go!
Stripped down both sides and yanked knuckles off
So many parts missing!
Cleaned up the driver side and painted! Shame im gonna have to bolt the TTB back into this!
Tomorrow I hope to get the passenger side cleaned & painted, and if im lucky, get the pivot bushings replaced.
(even) more 3/4 ton prep (P.2)
Got my rear diff cover the other day. OEM Ford piece ('08 Superduty), same one I run on my F250:
Degreased it, then shot it with some clear so it wont corrode. Did the same on the cover on my F250, and that's looking good years later.
Also, more parts!
These are B-Code Superduty leafs, that I picked up off an old friend Saturday.
So I did some research on these things, this is what I came up with:
Ford Bronco 78-84 1390 5 leaf
Ford Bronco 79-93 1650 (202/276) 4+1 leaf
Ford Bronco 94-96 1650 (230) 4+1 leaf
B code 98-04 2998 (320/670)
C code 98-04 3626 (350/730) - dually
F code 98-04 2695 (334/776)
What does all that mean? 1650 is the spring load for a 96. 230# is the deflection, which is ore or less how 'stiff' the spring is. The B code leaf has a load of 2998 (with the overload) meaning it can carry ~1300# more than a stock bronco leaf. But, the deflection is only 90# higher w/o the overload. The second # (670) is the deflection with the overload, which I am not currently planning on running. So it should be a touch stiffer than stock but not by a whole lot. My guess is, adding an AAL to the original bronco leafs, or whatever else I need to do to raise the rear 2", will probably make the spring pack stiffer than the B Codes. So hopefully this works out, but I wont know for a while yet. My current plan is to strip & rebuild the front end and then drop the motor in, to see what ride height looks like. Then after all that is done, ill tear into the rear end and get the axle & springs swapped.
Got the bronco in the driveway!
Pulled whats left of the motor
...and stuffed the bronco into the garage!