I ordered all new weather stripping for the truck, which showed up wednesday
...and since i had some free time, i installed all the seals in the hardtop
So now the top is 100% done, just waiting to go back on the bronco; hopefully in another week once i get a couple other things done on the body.
Now that she's got fresh paint, lets wreck it!
masking everything off to spray Al's HNR (heat & noise reducer)
...and here we go!
Weather permitting, ill be spraying the bed liner Friday!
buttoning up some projects
couple extra pics of the finished product:
I masked off & sprayed the rocker where it always gets beat up from climbing in/out:
...and i got my RedHead installed:
Took it out for a test drive earlier. As youd expect, the RedHead box is awesome, steering is great now. The steering wheel is crooked tho, so ill have to adjust that tomorrow.
As for the interior.....its pretty nice! The combo of Heat & Noise Reducer/BedLiner works great; if its any louder than it was with the full interior installed, i cant really tell. Really impressed with this stuff, especially the HNR. My 88 bronco had rhino-liner sprayed in the interior, and i remember thinking it was louder than with the full interior, but this really does seem to me to be damn near the same noise level as the full stock interior, at least in the front.
Bed liner done!
Perfect weather, so here we go!
First off, better masking. I learned the hard way on this one. The HNR and the bed liner gets sprayed with an undercoat gun due to its thickness. So overspray is a real concern. Somehow i apparently got HNR all the way up on the roof!
Bought 3 kits just in case. Ended up only needing two.
Its a 3 part kit, plus black pigment. You add all the components to the large jug and then stir it up real good. Once thats done youre committed, as it begins to cure. I shot this stuff in the summer a couple years back and it set up in like 15 minutes! Today its only 35º, so i had a bit more time to work with it.
This stuff is noxious, you dont want to spray it indoors, and honestly you probably want a respirator outside too. Its also a sticky mess, so that combined with the limited working time means i didnt take any in-progress pics. So here's the finished product!
I winched it back into the garage so it can cure un-disturbed. Al's claims 24 hours to dry, but 72 hours for heavy use. Ill probably give it a full 48 hours and see how it feels, before i start putting the interior back together.
Close-up of the liner. Its still curing, so its super glossy. Hard to get a pic of, but it looks just like any other professional spray-in bed liner.
It needs to be undisturbed for a day or two, so no more updates until after Xmas.
We got a break in the rain, so i figured id go for it and hope it didnt start again. So here we go!
Masked off and ready to go:
...and second coat done!
Close up; the HNR has a texture to it:
I still have a little bit more but its getting thick, i def dont think i need a third coat. It looks good once its dry, but its no good as a top coat; it really needs something over top of it to keep it in good shape. Fortunately, next week itll be getting coated in bedliner and then i can start putting the interior back together!
Hole patched! Its not a great job, but itll be hidden once the interior is back together.
Up front, i have to strip the sound deadener. Originally i was going to cover it, but its peeling up pretty badly so its gotta go.
Masking off the interior. I have tape sticking up thru all the screw & bolt holes so i can find them later.
..and done! Its sprayed with Al's Liner Heat & Noise Reducer. Hopefully this stuff works well, i guess we'll find out soon enough. They claim that a 31 mil coat is all it takes to do the job (approx 1/32"), which is what ive got down. I do have enough to do a second coat, im still debating doing it.
Its borderline too cold to spray it & leave it outside, and i couldnt climb back in with it wet, so i had to winch it back into the garage. Nice and warm in there so it should be fully cured tomorrow.
Looks like weve got some kind of storm front rolling in tomorrow, so i doubt ill get to spray the bedliner until next week.
So ive got about an hour into masking off the truck; a lot of it is that the HNR & Bed liner are so thick theyll cover over the smaller holes for the interior trim, so ive got a ton of tape-work to make sure i can find them after the liner is down. Like anything else, all the time is in the prep; it only took about 10 minutes to do the actual spraying.