Friday afternoon i dropped off the green bronco (due for inspection) and drove this one home. I made it!
Motor makes good oil pressure and is nice and quiet. Suspension rode pretty nice but i only got to drive it for about 15 minutes. Transmission (E4OD) shifts weird.
She took it for a drive friday night, made it maybe 10 minutes from the house and then called saying the trans wasnt shifting. I went to go find her and drive it home and yup, it dont shift right. Wouldnt go into 2nd until ~3200 rpm, and 3rd & 4th were about the same. The downshifts are weird. Doesnt look like the converter is locking.
I had the pan off a couple months back when i changed the filter and didnt find any debris in the pan, so i unplugged the solenoid pack, and the connector is wet:
Got in there with a mirror and sure enough the plug is full of ATF
Looks like the solenoid pack has failed. Hoping thats all that's wrong. Ive got a reman pack on order but i wont have it until Friday.
In the meantime ive got the 96 back from inspection, but it needs rear brakes; it would appear the adjuster cable on the one side is frayed, so im rebuilding the rear brakes:
Once the solenoid pack shows up we'll drop the pan on the '90 and see what we find.
Since it now runs and even stops, i backed it out so we could work outside in the sun!
Removing the aluminum trim from the fenders:
The fenders are in pretty good shape, altho it annoys me that Ford painted the truck after the trim was installed. I cleaned up the fenders & started installing flares while she worked on removing the glue from the missing trim:
That's when we noticed that Ford sprayed the blue, then put the moulding & trim on, then sprayed the silver, so theres no paint under the moulding either.
We're getting rid of the awful OEM headlamp housings in favor of something more modern. I have a set of these on the 88, and paired with a set of LED bulbs, they work really well.
Link to housings on Amazon
Both in, and grill finally installed!
We went full LED for the exterior lamps as well, so i had to add load resistors
And we opted for smoked taillamp housings to replace the red
and then finally, we put new moulding back on the body:
...which i think really cleans up the look of the truck
Monday the bronco goes in to the shop to get an exhaust system made, and then it gets dropped off to get a proper alignment, and inspection. If all goes well, we'll be driving it home by the end of the week!
Ive been running around trying to get the '90 done, and havent posted any updates. So here's where we're at:
I couldnt get the brakes to bleed, ended up having to replace the RABS module because it was seized
I had a code for EVP below minimum voltage
Which turned out to be a defective EGR- the nipple for the EVP to seat against wasnt in the EGR
New one installed, problem solved!
I redid the battery cables, so i could add an anderson plug for the remote-mount winch:
and then i finished off the interior, by adding a pair of Autometer gauges; oil pressure and trans temp
Built a standalone harness for the gauges that has one plug for power/illumination, and a second plug that goes to both sensors
Back when i was putting the accessory drive together i installed the Autometer oil pressure sensor on a Tee with the OEM sensor in the factory port
I thought i had a pic of the trans temp sensor, but apparently not. Its in the test port for the E4OD. Pic of it installed on the 96:
While i was in the interior, i pulled the cluster out so we could go full led: