So the engine came out and went back onto the stand wednesday. Spent thursday & friday disassembling it to see just what went wrong. Heres what i found.
I had pulled the oil drain plug the night before, so when i got home from work i could immediately drop the pan. This is what i found:
So we're not off to a good start. So i moved to the top end to remove the heads. I bought a cheap ($10) parts organizer from Harbor Freight and used it to organize the rockers + hardware, lifters and pushrods so i could keep track of where they came from
I found 3 pushrods with chips in the top. Coincidentally all exhaust valves
I can see slight scoring in the bores:
Rolled over, lets inspect the bottom end:
If its not clear in the pic, the oil pickup is absolutely covered in metal, to the point of it seeming like it was dipped in nevr-seize
Pulled the #2 crank bearing cap, and well....
Scored to all hell, including the crank journal.
Pulled a rod bearing, and same thing:
This is typical of all rod bearings:
Crank is out. All bearings wiped, all journals scored. I hope i can salvage the crank.
Starting pulling lifters. #5 intake lifter is wrecked:
#7 intake lifter also damaged, altho not nearly as bad:
Cam lobe wiped out:
All piston skirts showing wear:
All cylinder bores scored:
And the bare block, waiting for its return trip to the machine shop next week:
You know what they say....any job worth doing, is worth doing twice.