How to Make A Simple Job Complicated
aka "Fixing" the Steering.
So ive been chasing alignment issues. Basically, the theory is that the F250 pitman arm doesnt drop enough for the 2.5" lift, and its causing camber in turns. Truck looks good on a rack, but continues to wear the front tires. The obvious solution is a drop pitman arm. But thats too easy! So lets make it more complicated!
Steering angles before we started:
So i bought some Ford tie rod sleeves from Sky Manufacturing
Hole drilled out to 7/8", sleeve going in with some red loctite:
tie rod's new home:
Check those angles, and that ground clearance!
Piece of cake, right? WRONG! Now the tie rods hit the sway bar. So, here we go!
Cut the end links in half. I extended them about 1.5" using 3/4" steel rod; i thought i had a pic but apparently i dont.
Endlink halves reinstalled, but on the opposite side of the bronco. 8" piece of 1" tubing to extend the link. Its crazy, but the way Ford made the bar, it totally fits just fine like this.
Decided to drill/bolt the 3 pieces together:
...and just like that, sway bar disconnects!
New poly bushings....
Bronco needs an inspection, so while its there im going to have them double check my driveway alignment, see how far off i got it. Only went around the block and that was before re-adjusting toe, so i cant give a final opinion on if it handles any better/worse yet.
Comments are closed.