So i took some time last month designing and building an anti-wrap bar for the 88. Here's the final result:
On the axle tube, im using brackets from Blue Torch Fab.
The bar/shackle is using 3/4" rod-ends from Aurora, which i got at a local bearing house. The bushings at the axle end i bought from Poly Performance.
The bar is made of 1 1/4", .120 wall tubing, which the weld-in bungs fit perfectly. In order to make the lower tube more dent-resistant, i got a piece of 1" barstock and cut it down to fit inside the tube. I doubt that sucker is gonna bend!
I built a shackle for the frame-side end to use shackles at both ends, so i dont have binding issues:
For the frame side, i made a crossmember that spans the frame
The shackle connects to it via a bracket i made out of a scrap piece of 2x4 box tube:
The final result is tucked up in there pretty tight and out of harm's way, but its also built beffy enough that it can take some abuse w/o concern of any damage:
The bar ended up ~40" long. The shackle is ~6", and there is 6" of vertical separation on the axle mounts. The shackle is pretty close to 90º, and while i could probably make some adjustments to the two heims to get it there, i dont think i will bother. There is some lift to the nose, but its minor. The big difference is now when you get on the throttle, she digs in and goes! No more spring wrap or axle hop at all.
Comments are closed.