So I got the front 3rd cleaned & painted. Also of note is the drain plug I added. New seals for it sitting on the work bench, which ill slap in once I start putting it all together.
Got delayed by yesterday's freak snowstorm, so this morning we got the bronco moved from her resting place up to the driveway
Looks like tomorrow im going to a friend's house to grab a set of 'B' Code rear Superduty leafs from him. Then hopefully Monday I can pull whats left of the 302 out of the truck, and then bring her inside so the rebuild can begin!
So i salvaged the F250's ubolt plates, and the oem blocks from it as well. Got em blasted and now theyre sitting in a fresh coat of primer.
Pulled the massive sway bar off the 10.25. Going to clean it up and save it, but not planning on installing it; just keeping it in case i want it later on.
Got the rear needle-scaled, wire wheeled, and painted too. Ignore the rusty diff cover, thatll be getting replaced with a new one when the axle goes in.
I was gonna start cleaning the front diff, when i remembered we have a bigass parts washer with agitator at work, so im bringing that in to soak all night while im working.
Tomorrow a couple buddies are coming by after work, and we're going to bring the bronco up from its space in the stones, to the garage door so i can yank whats left of the motor, and then bring the truck inside for the rebuild!
I brought the rear into the garage to pop a drum off, and check condition of brakes. Needed to see if it had the 2½" or 3" shoes, condition of hardware etc. The drum didn't come off too well, but once it did come off, I was greeted with this:
New brakes! The wheel cylinders look like death from the outside so they'll be getting replaced, but the shoes (3") & all hardware are all damn near new.
So this is where i left off for the weekend:
10.25 ready to be stripped, and the front 3rd waiting for a chance to be degreased. Hope to start prepping both of these tomorrow morning after work.
So yesterday after messing with the knuckles and caliper mounts, I pulled the drive shafts & tcase, then pulled the front clip, and yanked out the motor/trans
Hoping I can sell the C6/BW1356
That's enough for one day...
So today I pushed it onto the yard, then winched it up onto the trailer
Stripped the whole front end. Saved the front 3rd for the bronco, planning on selling the hubs/spindles/etc
Then moved on to the rear
then stole the steering wheel, steering box & pitman arm, and off to the scrapyard she goes
All told, pretty productive over the past two days, if I do say so myself!
85 K20 front axle from the junkyard:
Removed what appeared to be new, yet rusty calipers & rotors
Found brand new bearings, apparently just recently greased
Whole axle stripped
8 lug hub parts salvaged
matching chevy stubs cleaned up
Near as i can tell, this whole axle was rebuilt and then the truck went to the junkyard. Everything looks brand new, even the pads, those aren't rusty and don't even show signs of wear. All the seals and dry rotted though from sitting so i ordered all new hub & spindle seals. New calipers too since theyre a whopping $19 each.
From there i moved on to modding a pair of knuckles off of an older bronco i got from another 'yard.
First ear cut off
Comparison of before and after:
And both knuckles done
Ive got like 6 boxes of parts still unopened in the garage, gotta go thru them tomorrow. Im going to bring the knuckles and the caliper brackets in to work to see if i can blast them and get em painted. Hoping next week i can start stripping the parts truck.
In the hunt for a 351, I neded up buying a whole truck!
Enter this rotted out 88 F250:
351/C6/1356. 4.10s with a L/S rear
She barely fit on the trailer. We ended up sawzalling off the bumper to make room for the ramps
I found this thing and was originally only going to buy the motor until the owner told me for another $200 I could have the whole truck. 3/4 tons with 4.10s? Sign me up!
So I set up an elaborate scheme that required me driving 150 miles yesterday.
After I left work I went home, grabbed the trailer and picked up this truck. Then from there shot over to Collis Truck Parts to pick up this:
(3/4 ton 10 bolt for 8-lug conversion)
Brought both home, unloaded and then immediately left again, to swap the 235/85/16s on steel wheels for these:
305/70/16 on factory AL wheels
So the plan is to pull the 351 out and get it on an engine stand. Winch truck back up on trailer and then pull rears. Put bronco in driveway, swap to 8-lug, and then dispose of 5-lug parts & F250 (its a rotted out plow truck). Then I can begin going over the 351 and getting it ready to drop into the bronco.
Now that I have the 305s im considering ordering the 1.5-2" coils bronco graveyard sells, and rummaging through my spring pile to find a way to lift the rear to match. We'll see...