So i had some time to play with my rivnut tool. Its actually really easy to use, so ive got about half the rivnuts for the passenger flare installed
Still need to order the final hardware; theyll be 8-32, and i want to use stainless button head screws mainly cuz i think theyll look cool when installed :toothless
I installed the OEM battery tray, it just fits:
Same as the bracket for the airbox:
So it looks like ive removed as much as you possibly can, to still reuse these brackets.
So the plan is to get some 1x1/8" flat stock and build some brackets to attach sheet metal (or maybe even sheet plastic) to to build inner fenders. But first, i have to finish this:
Started cutting down a ginormous chokecherry tree because its a messy tree thats mostly hollow from years of carpenter ant abuse, and its also where i want to put a shed this summer. So once i get this thing all cut up and the stump ground down ill jump back on the bronco. So many projects, so little time.
Ive always wanted a sheet metal brake, but never really had the room to store such a big piece of equipment. Well, now that i have a decent workshop, and a pretty big project to work on (the bronco rebuild) i decided it was time to get one. But, didnt want a big press taking up space, so i decided to try and build a smaller compact press. So this is what i came up with:
One piece of 3" angle iron bolted to bench top, with a 2" piece of angle iron attached to that via 2 4" hinges. Both are 36" wide, which gives me 28" between the hinges. Thats got to be plenty big. The 2 ½" bolts secure it to the bench.
So this is the basic motion. Those 2 3/8" studs sticking up with springs on them, will hold another piece of 2x¼" angle iron, which serves as the jaw that clamps the sheet metal in place
Some slight trimming of the jaw to clear the hinges. Wing nuts to clamp it down w/o needing any special tools, and the springs will lift it back up when loosened to remove the piece or put another in.
On the underside of the hinged piece of angle iron, is 2 pieces of pipe welded in place, for a pair of handles made out of ¾" bar stock
Removed from bench for 'storage' (actually i was cleaning). The handles fit under the clamping jaw for storage.
Set back up, and im now ready to resume work on the bronco!
Looks like its gonna work just fine!
I was moving the front clip, and bumped into one of my shocks. It fell over and this happened:
Guess ive got no excuse now, were upgrading the shocks.
Front clip reinstalled! Wheel well is pretty big now.
I installed the fender liner (Yes its actually bolted into place in this pic). Its gonna need some work if im gonna reuse it!
Also got my riv-nut tool, so i can start installing the nuts for the flares!
Im gonna start working on the fender liners next i think. Gotta get a game plan going. Currently thinking im gonna roll the seams on the firewall, then trim up the fender liner, and maybe make a piece that will seal the back to the firewall. Dunno yet. Long term use proved the tubbed wheel wells i did last time were a nightmare for shedding heat, so this time i want to make sure i leave as much open space under the hood as i possibly can.
So i pulled the front clip back off. The first cut to the fenders that i made, was the bare minimum to fit the cutoff flares. Now the plan is to remove two more inches, which is about as much as i can remove, and still be able to reinstall the original fender liners. So here we go!
Line drawn, and a whole ton of tabs cut
The process of bending them over begins:
All tabs bent, heres roughly what the fender will look like when the flare is removed
after a whole sh*tload of welding & grinding, both fender panels are now rewelded
This shows you how much more material is removed.
Made a template of the new wheel arch, and transferred it to the other side
A ton more cutting, bending and welding!
Finally got some primer on them the other day.
If all goes well ill be able to get the front clip reinstalled sunday, and i can then begin working on the fender liners. Theyre gonna need to be trimmed up a bit now that the wheel well is bigger. I also need to install rivnuts for the flares. Hopefully i can get both done by the end of next week, we'll see!
So on Sunday i was over a buddies house. and scored some more parts!
Got another tach cluster, a spare dash bezel thats in way better shape than mine, and the missing parts (Servo/bracket/cable) to complete my cruise control install! Considering pretty much my entire commute to/from work is on the open freeway, its super awesome having cruise control in this thing!
Met a fellow Ford nut who lives up near Rausch Creek, and got some parts off him!
One tach cluster, and a set of chrome mirrors
and some new badges & dash trim to replace the XL badges
I swapped my speedo into the the tach cluster today and got that installed in the bronco. Not yet sure if i want to run chrome mirrors on this one or not, still debating.
Im digging the Custom badges, theyre pretty hard to find, and IMO they suit this mishmash of a bronco. Ill get em installed in the spring when its warmer out. Gotta find some good 3m.