Oh no what have i done?!
So i found this 96 XL on CL earlier in the week:
Front bench! Its comfy
The worst of the rust
The reason it was on CL: PO pulled heads thinking it needed a head gasket and found a cracked block instead!
That was the end game, after that it just sat in his yard for a couple years. So this morning me & a buddy took the whopping 20 minute trip to pick it up!
Its a MAF truck with no motor. So im currently hunting for one. Its looking like im going to drop a 351 in, as they seems to be a ton cheaper in these parts than 302s for some reason. I did find another EFI 460 for sale, but I want to keep this one a mild truck that both of us can drive. Currently researching what it takes to make a 351 run off a 302 MAF system.
So yeah it needs a motor. Windshield is cracked and needs replaced. We blew a rear brake line loading it up so it needs one of those too. Rear tires are pretty clean 31s, front are mix matched and shot. So it needs two tires as well. But did you see that tailgate?! Mint!
So needless to say I had to snag it up. Especially when it was only $400!
Short term is to simply get this thing running, and drive the hell out of it. Maybe if I decide its a keeper, ill go 3/4 ton with it!
So last week a bunch of buddies came by, and we got the body on the frame!
So awesome to see it in the garage, looking like a bronco again!
Friday I got the windshield out, which revealed what appears to be a completely rust free windshield frame!
For now, this is where I pause. Diesel needs the rear tank replaced & maybe a glow plug relay. The leaves are falling, and ive got painting to do in the house. So ill come back to the bronco in December.
Unfortunately on Friday, someone was thoughtful enough to hit the F250:
So now im on the hunt for a new bed. Most likely just going to massage this one and leave it for the winter, then replace it in the spring.
big bronco update
B-pillar body mounts reinstalled
Some rust repair on the frame
had to do both sides
The frame had a small tweak in it, from trimming it for the p/u tank. Not too bad, after 1o years! But I figured nows the time to do something about it
Then I went back, and added a lip the the notch to strengthen it, as well as weld everything together
Chopped off all the crap ive welded to my frame horns over the years
Next project on the list, fix trans leak.
Drop frame to wheel dollys
pull out doubler
Fix leak, put back in.
Then yesterday I pushed it out on the dollys into the driveway to wirewheel & rattle can the frame. While the paint was drying I built this, so I could use the come-along to winch it back in later
Today im going to install my new poly gas tank, then make leads up for my winch so I can use that next time I need to winch the truck into the garage.
I have a poly body mount kit sitting in the garage, and new body mount hardware should be showing up today. So, weather permitting, the tub goes on the frame this Tuesday! After that I need to take down the big tent, and then im taking a week or two off on this project to get some stuff done in the house and around the yard.