So it turns out the MLPS was bad. it was also the original one, so i had to repin the harness to use the updated one:
From there it was just a matter of priming the fuel system and it roared to life!
Timing is now set, and of course it needs an exhaust system still. I backed it out of the garage to confirm that at the very least, 1st & reverse work. Brakes need bled again. But it runs! So this week ill be working on the interior since ive got a bad power window motor and the door locks dont work. Gotta fix the door panels and the center console. But its close to being a driver!
Im basically done under the hood
new a/c condenser, new radiator, and the rest of the engine is now assembled. Im also replacing the a/c compressor and dryer and accumulator since im converting to 134a
New high pressure adapter fitting had the wrong thread pitch so i had to order a new one
...and the a/c is now pumped down!
So i opened up the fuel pump housing:
its pretty gross, no wonder it didnt work
...and all rebuilt with new pump, strainer & float:
New tank, with rebuilt pump installed, along with a new valve & gasket since im guessing i tossed the old ones when i scrapped the tank
new galvanized skid plate from bronco graveyard
Fuel lines are done, but when i went to hook up the vent line for the charcoal canister i saw it was all rotted out...
...so i bent up a new one & installed it
With all that done i picked up oil, coolant, etc to get everything filled up:
Fortunately my first coolant fill was straight water because the tstat housing was leaking like a sieve
But that was a simple fix. So i hooked up the battery and keyed on to prime the fuel system. Had one leaky fuel injector oring (top of inj #1) which was an easy fix. So, i turned the key and.......
So thats where im at now. The start circuit doesnt seem to work, im not sending power to the trigger wire for the starter relay, but the ignition multi-function switch is working so must be something else stopping it from starting. Jumped the relay and the starter cranks but the engine didnt fire so it may be an issue with the MLPS since it seems to be affecting the run circuit too. So it looks like ill be doing some troubleshooting...