So I figured since I have money & time invested in the engine & trans, I might as well get some gauges to monitor them. Enter a set of Autometer's GS gauges:
Trans temp probe in the usual location; the test port
Built a simple manifold to allow me to use both the stock pressure sender & the autometer oil pressure sender
Working on the wiring harness. Since the GS series are LED, I have a resistor in-line to dim them a bit, so they match the dash brightness
some wires poking out of the a-pillar...
...and gauges done!
Looks like the motor is ~45 PSI cold, and never drops below 20 PSI even when hot @ idle. Haven't seen trans temps above 140º yet, altho I haven't driven it much since I finished em.
Been driving the hell out of this thing, so naturally the one thing I didn't touch would need work.
I had this really neat noise under load (thinking going up hill), and then a rumble going down the other side of the hill (which sounded like it was coming from the rear axle). So I split the tcase open to inspect:
the arm for the oil pump has worn a pretty deep groove into the tcase housing. it makes this cool (not really) rattly noise under load which sounds like bad bearings.
Long story short, I stripped her clean
Bought a bearing kit & a pump kit off ebay just in case. I changed all the bearings. Didn't really need the pump kit, but I used it anyway cuz I was already in there. Then welded a tab to the original arm, so it cant rattle around in there anymore.
That's pretty much it. I didnt bother to take too many other pics, as there is already a great thread over on FSB of the full BW1356 rebuild, located here.
Needless to say, the tcase is nice and quiet now. Well worth tearing into now, before the pump finally failed.