more tools for the garage
Still doing some tuning on the '88. The rear driveshaft is making noise so its out to be rebuilt, so while i wait on that, i decided to put this together!
One Swag Offroad Heavy Duty Finger Brake kit! I picked this up during their Black Friday sale, and its been sitting in the garage since then, since my priority was getting the '88 up and running again. So lets bust this thing open!
Tons of pieces:
...and a good set of instructions
I thought i had more progress pics, but apparently not. So this is the base all done and welded, with the upper jaw behind it, also assembled and welded:
...and the finished product!
Ive got an idea for a set of rock sliders for the '88, so if all goes well we'll be putting this to use this week!
Things need to be done.
I fixed my oil pressure gauge; the needle was stuck. I need to make a heat shield for the OBA supply hose down to the frame, and theres a leak in the hose i need to fix as well. I need to adjust my draglink as the steering wheel isnt straight. My remote trans filter is leaking so i will probably just replace the filter after putting a couple more miles on it. The C6 shifts good, altho i thought it would be a bit firmer, so i might make some adjustments there. I swapped out my speedo gear too and got it damn near perfect, im off by only 1mph at 60. Oh, and OD would be nice, because its doing 60mph at 3k rpms. Its loud on the highway.
I messed with the tune a bit today. Seems Stinger was just off on the base fuel requirement, because i cranked it up, and its running a ton better! So now i need to really dig in, and learn how to tune this thing.
Finished filling the radiator, primed the oil pump, stabbed the distributor. It lives!
Ran it for 20 minutes at 2-3k rpms to break in the cam, then shut it off. The tune isnt quite right, but i think theres an issue with my wideband, because theres no way its this lean:
Its like 19:1!: I couldnt find any leaks on the headers or collectors, so it could be the O2 itself. I have another so ill swap it out for the other one and see if it makes a difference.
so close i can almost taste it
Replacing the oil cooler with a Ford Performance 90º adapter:
I waited until today to install it, because i wanted the lower radiator hose installed to make sure i got the clocking correct.
Its snug, but it fits!
If the radiator is in, that means its time for fluids too:
...and where we left off for the day:
All thats left now is to top off the radiator, prime the oil pump, and stab the distributor. Which means the next day i get out there to work, i should be able to start it up! Here's hoping it all goes well!
going back together
Cold, but otherwise nice outside, so we made some progress on the '88.
The exhaust is now done, with the exception of the wideband O2, which i want to calibrate anyway. Pretty much everything thats left is under the hood, so thats where i went.
Put the fuel rail on, and then broke the oil pressure sender. Kinda sucks because the plan was to install the plenum/TB next and finish the harness & vacuum lines. Maybe tomorrow.
Anyways, i moved on and instead reinstalled the dipstick, coil + bracket, and most of the accessory drive:
P.steering pump is plumbed, and so is the York. Its a rats nest of wires under the right now but itll all clean up once the TB is reinstalled. We're getting pretty close to finally firing this thing up!
new tires for the DD
With the world the way it is, you just cant get tires as easily as you used to, or nearly as cheap. So the 96 needs tires, and winter is upon us. So i decided to try out a set of tires ive been eyeing for a while, but was never brave enough to try. Thunderer Trac Grip MTs. So here we go!
So they arrived yesterday, and i got them installed today, just in time for snow!
They look good on the bronco, and the tread pattern looks pretty decent
I had them bead balanced, and theyre nice and smooth on the highway. First impressions is they actually arent all that loud; they didnt seem much noisier than the old mostly bald BFG A/Ts they replaced. As youd expect theres a low hum in the background, but i thought theyd be pretty loud and theyre not. So i guess time will tell if they were a good purchase, but first impressions are good.
new year, same delays
Not much progress made. Took some time off for the holidays, then life happened.
I have the doubler, transmission & motor mounts back together again. Reinstalled tcase shifters & trans tunnel. Antiwrap bar back together. I also made a new tracbar for the front, since my old was was a bit short, and bent a little bit. I must have goofed on the lower tracbar mount location on the 'new' D60, presumably because of how hammered the old body was. Ended up that when the new body was 100% done, i had to extend my tracbar a good 1½", which left me with quite a good bit of the shafts from the heims sticking out. It looked like a failure waiting to happen. So i built a nice beefy (and slightly longer) one using parts i got from RuffStuff during their black friday sale.
Im hoping to get back out there tomorrow to see what else i can get done. Its january and there's snow in the forecast.
Not a great update, but progress is progress.