Things need to be done.
I fixed my oil pressure gauge; the needle was stuck. I need to make a heat shield for the OBA supply hose down to the frame, and theres a leak in the hose i need to fix as well. I need to adjust my draglink as the steering wheel isnt straight. My remote trans filter is leaking so i will probably just replace the filter after putting a couple more miles on it. The C6 shifts good, altho i thought it would be a bit firmer, so i might make some adjustments there. I swapped out my speedo gear too and got it damn near perfect, im off by only 1mph at 60. Oh, and OD would be nice, because its doing 60mph at 3k rpms. Its loud on the highway.
I messed with the tune a bit today. Seems Stinger was just off on the base fuel requirement, because i cranked it up, and its running a ton better! So now i need to really dig in, and learn how to tune this thing.
Finished filling the radiator, primed the oil pump, stabbed the distributor. It lives!
Ran it for 20 minutes at 2-3k rpms to break in the cam, then shut it off. The tune isnt quite right, but i think theres an issue with my wideband, because theres no way its this lean:
Its like 19:1!: I couldnt find any leaks on the headers or collectors, so it could be the O2 itself. I have another so ill swap it out for the other one and see if it makes a difference.
Replacing the oil cooler with a Ford Performance 90º adapter:
I waited until today to install it, because i wanted the lower radiator hose installed to make sure i got the clocking correct.
Its snug, but it fits!
If the radiator is in, that means its time for fluids too:
...and where we left off for the day:
All thats left now is to top off the radiator, prime the oil pump, and stab the distributor. Which means the next day i get out there to work, i should be able to start it up! Here's hoping it all goes well!
Cold, but otherwise nice outside, so we made some progress on the '88.
The exhaust is now done, with the exception of the wideband O2, which i want to calibrate anyway. Pretty much everything thats left is under the hood, so thats where i went.
Put the fuel rail on, and then broke the oil pressure sender. Kinda sucks because the plan was to install the plenum/TB next and finish the harness & vacuum lines. Maybe tomorrow.
Anyways, i moved on and instead reinstalled the dipstick, coil + bracket, and most of the accessory drive:
P.steering pump is plumbed, and so is the York. Its a rats nest of wires under the right now but itll all clean up once the TB is reinstalled. We're getting pretty close to finally firing this thing up!
Not much progress made. Took some time off for the holidays, then life happened.
I have the doubler, transmission & motor mounts back together again. Reinstalled tcase shifters & trans tunnel. Antiwrap bar back together. I also made a new tracbar for the front, since my old was was a bit short, and bent a little bit. I must have goofed on the lower tracbar mount location on the 'new' D60, presumably because of how hammered the old body was. Ended up that when the new body was 100% done, i had to extend my tracbar a good 1½", which left me with quite a good bit of the shafts from the heims sticking out. It looked like a failure waiting to happen. So i built a nice beefy (and slightly longer) one using parts i got from RuffStuff during their black friday sale.
Im hoping to get back out there tomorrow to see what else i can get done. Its january and there's snow in the forecast.
Not a great update, but progress is progress.
So the engine is now back at the machine shop again. We'll see what it needs soon enough.
In the mean time, i decided to open up the Kaase oil pump. As expected, its ruined as well. All sorts of scoring on the gears, and the aluminum housing as well
So add that to the list of items that will be getting replaced as well.
So the engine came out and went back onto the stand wednesday. Spent thursday & friday disassembling it to see just what went wrong. Heres what i found.
I had pulled the oil drain plug the night before, so when i got home from work i could immediately drop the pan. This is what i found:
So we're not off to a good start. So i moved to the top end to remove the heads. I bought a cheap ($10) parts organizer from Harbor Freight and used it to organize the rockers + hardware, lifters and pushrods so i could keep track of where they came from
I found 3 pushrods with chips in the top. Coincidentally all exhaust valves
I can see slight scoring in the bores:
Rolled over, lets inspect the bottom end:
If its not clear in the pic, the oil pickup is absolutely covered in metal, to the point of it seeming like it was dipped in nevr-seize
Pulled the #2 crank bearing cap, and well....
Scored to all hell, including the crank journal.
Pulled a rod bearing, and same thing:
This is typical of all rod bearings:
Crank is out. All bearings wiped, all journals scored. I hope i can salvage the crank.
Starting pulling lifters. #5 intake lifter is wrecked:
#7 intake lifter also damaged, altho not nearly as bad:
Cam lobe wiped out:
All piston skirts showing wear:
All cylinder bores scored:
And the bare block, waiting for its return trip to the machine shop next week:
You know what they say....any job worth doing, is worth doing twice.