So the engine is now back at the machine shop again. We'll see what it needs soon enough.
In the mean time, i decided to open up the Kaase oil pump. As expected, its ruined as well. All sorts of scoring on the gears, and the aluminum housing as well
So add that to the list of items that will be getting replaced as well.
So the engine came out and went back onto the stand wednesday. Spent thursday & friday disassembling it to see just what went wrong. Heres what i found.
I had pulled the oil drain plug the night before, so when i got home from work i could immediately drop the pan. This is what i found:
So we're not off to a good start. So i moved to the top end to remove the heads. I bought a cheap ($10) parts organizer from Harbor Freight and used it to organize the rockers + hardware, lifters and pushrods so i could keep track of where they came from
I found 3 pushrods with chips in the top. Coincidentally all exhaust valves
I can see slight scoring in the bores:
Rolled over, lets inspect the bottom end:
If its not clear in the pic, the oil pickup is absolutely covered in metal, to the point of it seeming like it was dipped in nevr-seize
Pulled the #2 crank bearing cap, and well....
Scored to all hell, including the crank journal.
Pulled a rod bearing, and same thing:
This is typical of all rod bearings:
Crank is out. All bearings wiped, all journals scored. I hope i can salvage the crank.
Starting pulling lifters. #5 intake lifter is wrecked:
#7 intake lifter also damaged, altho not nearly as bad:
Cam lobe wiped out:
All piston skirts showing wear:
All cylinder bores scored:
And the bare block, waiting for its return trip to the machine shop next week:
You know what they say....any job worth doing, is worth doing twice.
So i have two oil pressure sensors in the rear port on the block. The OEM sending unit, and the aftermarket one from NVU. So i removed the OEM one and hooked up a mechanical gauge there. Pulled the distributor and ran the oil pump via the driveshaft, and i see ~40 PSI on both the mechanical & electrical gauge, so that confirms i have oil pressure when cold, and confirms my electrical gauge works properly. Drained the oil, pulled the filter, cut it open, and i dont see any bearing material. Brought the filter over to the machine shop since hes only about 5 minutes away and he agrees, no bearing material in the filter.
Today i changed the oil out for Rotella 15W40 (this time i put in 7 quarts instead of 6), ran the oil pump via the driveshaft and got ~48psi, which id expect from the heavier oil. Put the engine back together and fired it up. Ran it at 2k rpms for 4 minutes, and in that time it dropped to about 5-6psi so i shut it down. Waited 5 minutes, fired it back up and no oil pressure at idle. Shut it off, waited another 10 minutes, and fired it up again. Barely any increase in oil pressure. So i dont think its a problem with oil draining back down to the pan.
At this point i cant see anything else i can do, without pulling the motor back out.
I have been hesitant to update this, because reasons.
It took me 4 weeks to get to this point. I have been working on the engine 20+ hours a week, every week since my last update a month ago. Timing cover came back off, bought a different set of fuel injectors, and a second wideband O2 sensor as i probably ruined mine. Passenger header has been off 3 times, still leaks. Struggled with the tune. Still not right, but im going to have to replace the headers to get it right since i cant get the one to stop leaking.
The engine is still not 'broken in'. I am dropping to about 5-6 PSI on oil pressure (at 2k rpms) by the time the thermostat opens. Idle might be close to zero. I dont know whats wrong. Im going to try to get a mechanical gauge on it tomorrow to make sure. I expect the motor is going to be coming back out. So the frustration level is high.